from 42 Sierra X-Ray

Saturday, February 26, 2005

fast times at kabul hi

Wow...time is super zipping by. The first few months here took forever, but this has been one of the fastest months of my life. I haven't posted on my final fantasy exploits in a while, i basically gave up trying to get the best ending in FFX2, i'll wait 2 weeks to meet Tony in the springs so he can bring his memory card so i can see the best ending. It's too much trouble and I'm too lazy to spend 80 hours to see a 60 second or so movie...and there's no way I'd be able to get 80 hours in before i leave. I found out my replacement is getting here early, so I'm leaving Afghanistan 3 weeks earlier than I thought I would. There's some reasons to want to stay, but I'm ready to go home for a bit and ski :)
Today was crazy fast, I went on 2 surveys and found out we got a bunch of money...i'm talking a bunch of money...like upper 8 figures. wooo hooo...so we can actually do the projects I helped design for the last few months. Crazy fast construction, maybe in 6 months it will be done. If everything manages to stay within 200% of the scheduled time...then my replacement will get some sweet awards and bullets for his OPR. But the Corp of Engineers will do everything from here, so he just has to sit back and watch the chumps come out of the woodworks to try to take the credit...grrr, that's one of the most frustrating things here. At one awards ceremony some schumck major got a Bronze star for building 8 buildings, a parking lot, increasing the capacity of office space and billeting by 300%, which allowed the blah blah blah...but the crappy thing is that he never did a stinking thing related to these projects...the guy that managed all these project (Yes, it was one guy) had never even SEEN the guy getting the medal in his entire year here!!! So some schumck was hiding...doing nothing related to these projects, and claimed credit...AND GOT A BRONZE STAR!!! My granddaddy got a Bronze Star, but he fought in the island hopping campaigns for 3 years...dragging communications wire under Japanese machine gun bullets...and now some jerk LIES and gets the same award?!?!?! So much silent anger...especially the guy that did all the work...and now he can't claim credit for what he actually did because it would look like he's copying what was already awarded for!!!
Yeah for Army politics...sit behind a desk playing video games for a few month, write a bogus report and get one of the nations highest combat medals. So ends another rant...

1 Comments:

  • Sorry, I haven't met Valente...but there's alot of people here. This place has changed so much in the short time I've been here. It's advanced in a great way. They had elections and the inauguration of a democratically elected president. People here have new roads, a huge influx of international aid that is really spurring on the economy. It's working so well. This place will continue to improve in so many ways.
    I don't believe in appeasement, I believe people that choose to harm others deserve to be removed from power and punished, be them criminals on the street or dictators that harm their own people and other people. If I wasn't here, I'd try to do what I'm doing here...I'd try to get a job with USAID or the Corp of Engineers and go to other countries that need help.
    Thanks

    By Blogger Mike, at 9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home