from 42 Sierra X-Ray

Monday, March 07, 2005

Wrock Mon!!!

Wrock mon...you say the first work with a Klingon gutteral hacking throat sound, and the second word is said with a Rasta Jamacian accent. That's how you say thank you in Kygystan!
I'M IN KYGYSTAN!!! I left on a C-17 last night...that is a huge plane on the inside. It's got actual bathrooms like a normal airliner, but its HUGE. We were all so excited on that plane, snapping tons of pictures and videos. We had a quick tactical takeoff with redlights on in the plane. Huge rapid accent...i think some of my stomach is still on the tarmac in Afghanistan. But once we were in the air, it was the smoothest ride ever, way nicer than a C-130. I spent half an hour just admiring the inside of the plane. Then I pulled out my laptop and looked at some pictures. By then we were landing at a base near the Kyrgystan and Kazakhstan border. We landed late, commandeered a gator (golf cart with a bed for carrying stuff) and we moved our weapons and bags to the armory and tent. It's so nice not to have to wear our vests and carry weapons and ammo!
I racked out and woke up, then fell back asleep, then woke up and went back to sleep. I finally got out of my bed around 12:30 Kabul time...i slept almost 11 hours! I haven't slept that much in a couple months! The dining hall here is super! They have fresh fruit, vegetables and nutterbutters! I got a picture of one of my guys eating a huge bear claw...the thing had 680 calories, 540 of them were from fat. The food here is so good, and its open 24 hours a day!!! So we can get good food anytime we want! I also went to the gym this morning after I woke up. The first thing I noticed is the sun is warm, this place is warm! I was walking around in a tshirt and shorts and was warm! I want to lay out in the sun and sleep! Dubai has nothing on this place...but Dubai has the whole ocean with a white beach thing...but give me snowy moutains any day. This place is 4000' lower than Afghanistan, but you can still see the snow covered mountains because the air is so clear and blue! So the air is clean and thick...breathing is fun, not a chore like in Kabul. No pollution and its so thick, and after eating good food and sleeping for a while, I feel super energized, like I have to run a few miles with my shirt off after I finish blogging. I also checked out the gym. This place is a jewel. It really shows the difference in how the Air Force treats its people vs the Army. I've been at a Army place for a few months and seeing how the Air Force does stuff is great! The gym is clean, weight mats are the entire floor, the machines are clean, oiled and arranged in a logical order. The weights are organized!!! The 45 lb plates are stacked with 45lb plates vs mixed up with everything!!! No mud anywhere, they dumped gravel everywhere...so everything is clean and organized! I love this place. And I remember they had a couple thousand DVDs versus 300 scratched DVDs and VHS! tapes in Afghanistan. I love this place. I get to hang out here a few days until my plane is ready...but wow...I love this place. They have good coffee, the best gym I've seen, clean facilities, tons of DVDs, a big tent with a projecter for DVD movies, tons of small russian shops for buying tokens and Russian stuff, stable power, clean water, amazing food...and the best part is...I have nothing to do!!! I can do whatever I want for a few days until my plane is ready. It's a vacation here! But fetne's not here, bummer. The wierd thing is...this is Russia and I'm this amazed, I wonder how I'll feel in Colorado. Oh well. Excuse me while I distract myself with all the cool stuff here.

1 Comments:

  • Your exuberance at being allowed to experience seemingly mundane things such as tasty food and relative comfort makes me feel grateful for having those very same things so readily available to me stateside. Stay safe...I'll be up in the Springs on the 14th and will be ready to 'board by the 19th, if not earlier.

    Kaplah! (It's Klingon...don't know what it means.)

    By Blogger anthony fuego, at 6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home