from 42 Sierra X-Ray

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

I should be nicer

Today is the anniversary of the Russians leaving Afghanistan. There's a new guy that believes all the hype/death-stories the media spews out. He just got here 2 days ago. Yesterday I took him to a potential site for reconstruction. His boss told him there's a high probability of rocket attacks because of the anniversary...nothing legit, but enough rumors to spook the poor young lass. He was nervous looking, and I guess I didn't help. I took him to the coolest looking ruins of Russian barracks, bulletholes and shell casings everywhere; he wanted me to snap some pictures of him for his wife as he posed in front them. I told him not to walk there because of mines, he got even more jittery, he stood in front of a crumbled wall, and I told him...uh, there's an unexploded rocket in that wall...and he "quickly" moved away. Then I saw some scattered bones (of a donkey that dogs got a hold of), I kicked a vertebrate at him...and the dude freaked out. I guess he though it was the bones of a hapless Russian. Poor guy, I shouldn't have messed with him.
But I did get honestly scared today, I was working guard duty and guy that coordinates all the replacements saw me and said, "Hey, your replacement is on his way here, he's in Russia right now waiting for a flight to Afghanistan." I freaked out, he's not supposed to get here for a month or two, and him being early would mean I'd have to go back to the US in a week or less...and I don't want to go back to the US...especially this early. I had a really great afternoon with Katie yesterday...we had 5 whole hours together and talked nonstop. But I tracked him down after my duty shift ended and he told me he was mistaken, my replacement is still at his home. I got some more time here, not as much as I'd like, but something’s better than nothing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home