I think I had the first restful night of sleep in two weeks. My roommate, who is a "couple" grades higher than me snores pretty bad. I've been getting maybe 4 hours a night. The vibrations shake the bunkbed frame...and the violent eruptions of flatulence...as Tony said, "Cough cough...I can taste it". The guys in the room down the hall complained to me that the snoring is keeping THEM up! It may sound funny now, but it's not amusing at 3am when I'm getting more and more pissed and enraged. As soon as I tell him to roll over, there's silence for a few minutes, then he rolls back over and the chainsaw starts again. So many variations of snoring: the mega-growling, the nasal high pitched squeaks, the stuttering coughs, the too short heart-rendering pauses of peace, I've heard them all. I've made 2 sleeping bags into very large earmuffs with belts and ducttape, but they're still not enough. I'm not allowed to sleep in my office or bivy outside in the icy mud for accountability reasons. I had a revelation in the midst of my rage...maybe if I chamber a round very loudly...that will get his attention enough to stop snoring in his sleep. I've also considered dropping an OPA (a J shaped tube EMT's put in the throats of unconscious people to keep their airway open)in him, this would keep him from snoring, but there's a good chance he'd gag, puke and get pissed off. Both options would likely get me in court-martialed. So I finally got some shooting earplugs, they block loud low frequency noises and allow high pitched noises (like alarm clocks) through, and combined them with my Bose noise reducing headphones. This ingenious solution worked perfectly last night :)
I even had dreams! I got some REM sleep in!
I even had dreams! I got some REM sleep in!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home