from 42 Sierra X-Ray

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Another site visit...sanitary conditions here are gross. I was measuring a plot of land and walked by an open air latrine, which was basically a raised wooden platform with a hole in it. But I don't think it had ever been cleaned, fecal material was all over the place and I almost puked from the smell. It's really sad how this city has no sanitary sewer system, they have ditches along the road where people throw everything into...garbage, food scraps, trash, human excrement...but these ditches haven't been maintained so there's no flow to the river or where ever it should go, so there's standing pools of the most foul hideous liquid on the shoulders of the roads. This stuff dries up from the sun and gets churned up into the the air by traffic. I'm amazed there's not more outbreaks of Cholera here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home