from 42 Sierra X-Ray

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

IVs are fun...IEDs suck

IV's are fun! We got to stick each other today and everybody hit a vein on their first stick! Here are some pics. My partner had really deep veins so I had to feel them, and I thought I missed his vein then I saw the flash chamber fill! I got ahead of myself and didn't pinch the catheter all the way when hooking it up to the IV tube and it got a little sloppy. But he got me back, I was giggling so hard, joking that the needle was in my bone, that my laughing convulsions made it very difficult for my partner and he almost blew my vein . I must grow up and be serious when needles are in me. So now we get to carry around big bags of medic stuff like OPAs, IVs, bandages, sheers and other supplies. Since my partner and I are national registered EMT's, we get carry a stethoscope and BP-cuff too. The clinic said we could come down and stick people anytime to get more proficient. Now if I can only control my giggling. But there is a serious reason to know stuff like this. This morning I was talking to a friend and found out he was going to a certain area. You can get really really nice fleece jackets from a place near this area so I asked him to grab one for me. I met him later that day and he told me his convoy was driving back and BOOM!!! a really loud explosion shook his vehicle, he regained control of the vehicle, then looked back and saw all the vehicles were there and still driving. They drove quickly out of the area, nobody was hurt...but he couldn't get me a fleece because the place was out of them. I guess I'll have to make due with my itchy wool sweater.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home